“I’ve learned that waiting is the most difficult bit, and I want to get used to the feeling, knowing that you’re with me, even when you’re not by my side.”
Paulo Coelho, Eleven Minutes

Sunday, September 9, 2012

My Dad

I know that this post is really similar to the last post about my dad, but I read that post during the services and I just wanted to post what I actually read and said-- with all the little stories in it and everything. :) I love you dad! Until we meet again!

"My dad, well what can I say more? He was my dad. My mom and he got married a little over 10 years ago. My parents were divorced when I was 4 so Bob was the only dad I knew, he was the one who was actually a dad to me.

When they first got married I remember living in a house with him and in the mornings we would climb into my parent's bed and he'd tickle us and we'd play around all morning. I remember that when my mom came to us and said, “Girls Bob and I want to get married what do you think?” and when I answered my number one reason to saying yes was, “Yeah! He’ll tickle us all the time and it will be so much fun!” It was so much fun to have him around. He was laughing a lot. Just all the time and he'd make us laugh too.
He taught me discipline. There were SO many times I disliked him SO much to where I just didn't want to be around him. But that's what good parents do. He helped teach me how to work and be the person I have become today.

He introduced me to hunting and fishing. I loved going quail hunting with him. I remember one time I shot really well and got three or more birds in one shot and he talked about that for a few weeks afterwards. I loved shooting and target practicing. Fishing was so much fun too. I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did because whenever I would see pictures of people fishing you just saw them sitting there, but I loved it. Bob just made it fun. He always had this rule-- you do NOT throw back the first fish you catch of the day or else you won't get any more the rest of the day. I know kind of a funny thing but it always worked! If you kept the first one you always got more.

I remember during the summers I'd go into the garage and he'd be working on his project. A Willys Jeep he was working on scratch. I'd help him with each little part he was working on and I felt like sometimes I really helped a lot even though I just held screwdrivers and stuff. After he finally got it running he'd take us out on it and we'd just go for a Jeep ride. He would take us out on his four wheeler too and I loved those rides. He'd let us drive too, which of course was such a big deal and so cool considering we did not have a permit or license. :) After I got my permit he taught me how to drive stick shift. When we were driving once he had let me know that I needed to turn the wheel back after I turned, but one time I totally forgot and kind of freaked out and we were going straight for a telephone pole. He reached over and pulled the wheel back before we went into the pole, but ever since then he would tease me saying “Oh no Jennica is driving we might run into a telephone pole!”  Before I left to college not too long ago he let me drive the Jeep one last time. It was so much fun.

My dad would get up early and cook breakfast or make awesome dinners. He'd usually make a meat of some sort, fried potatoes and another vegetable. His potatoes were just the best. I remember when I started experimenting with recipes I made a Cajun chicken pasta and he said, "It's good but it's making me sweat like a dog!"

He would plant a garden and get so excited of the fruits and vegetables he'd get off it. He was so good with them too. One time there was a large watermelon and he wanted to check and see if it was ripe yet or not. So he goes out and puts a hole in it and it wasn’t exactly ripe yet so he puts some duct tape on it and leaves it back out on the ground. It was rotten within the week.  He'd roadertill the entire backyard and he used to say that we grew rocks because of the amount of rock he'd take out of the ground, after every time he’d always have a full wheel barrow or more.

He transformed our outdoors. Our front yard went from what looked like a grave of rocks to grass everywhere with rose bushes and a water fountain (which would freeze in the winters and he thought it looked so cool -- it did look really cool and it was even in the paper once). I used to give people directions to my house and say, “My house is the one on the street that looks like there is actually life and people living in it.” He brought life to that house. 

When I first started making trips to Utah or driving he'd say, "Jennica if you ever get into trouble I WILL come and get you. No matter where I am I will get you." He wanted me to stay safe and he said he couldn't bare the thought and wouldn’t forgive himself if something bad happening to me or one of my sisters. 

I have so many memories with him- ten years worth. My last memories of him was him coming with my family to drop me off at college. He gave me my school blessing and when I went to leave he gave me the biggest hug and started just crying so hard. He was so sad I was leaving and said “I just feel like everyone is leaving.” I just promised that I'd visit often. When I found out I had a job on my way up there I called him to let him know- I didn't want him hearing from anyone else! :) He called me so many times that day probably 13 times and I am so glad that he did. :) He came with my family to see everything and drop more stuff off. I just can't believe that was the last time I'd ever see him... 

He should have had such a longer life ahead of him. I wanted him to see me graduate college and become successful. I really wanted him there at my wedding and I mostly wanted him to be my kids' grandpa. He was a really good grandpa to his grandkids who are alive now. But I know that this was his time to go. I don't understand it fully now but I know I will understand maybe a few years from now.

Dad- I love you so much. You always did so much to keep us safe and smiling. I know things got tough there for a while but we always pulled through it somehow. Thank you for all the work you did for us. You were one heck of a dad. I will always hold a place in my heart for you. I love you. I'll make you proud, I promise. I am so glad that I am sealed to you. You loved my mom so much-- I know you did and always have. Thank you for treating us good and giving us the companionship we really needed at times. Even though your time isn't here anymore I know you passed happy, smiling, and loving all of us.    

I love you. Until I see you again. 
Your daughter,  
Jennica"


No comments:

Post a Comment